After working with the traditional midwives and identifying their needs, CASA opened the first School of Professional Midwifery in the country. In 1997, the school was accredited by the Secretary of Education of Guanajuato according to agreement 176-97 of July 4, 1997. C.C.T. 11PET143N.
In August 2016, CASA’s professional midwifery school was inaugurated in Oaxaca. The school in Oaxaca joins existing CASA supported midwifery schools located in Guerrero, Morelos and San Luis Potosí.
Presently, 110 professional midwives from 16 generations have graduated from the professional midwifery school.
CASA’s staff and students have attended more than 8,000 births and have produced superior clinical results in comparison to the state and national averages including reduced maternal infant mortality and morbidity rate, cesarean rate and low birth weight rate.
Public Policy Advocacy
CASA also advocates for the advancement of midwifery in Mexico’s public policy. In 2011, CASA contributed to the creation and registration of the Technical Midwife position in the Secretary of Health’s sector catalog (post code M02117). CASA has also supported the opening of new midwifery schools around the country in order to expand the program’s reach.
We're doing it right!
- The students provided preventative care and health services to 2,391 people of reproductive age through workshops and consultations.
- During the year, two field practices were carried out in Oaxaca and Puebla where students obtained traditional midwifery knowledge and practical skills.
- Thanks to donations, it was possible to equip the students with tools for their practice.
Increase the number of institutions and individuals that financially support professional midwifery
Increase the quality of professional midwifery education
Provide essential care to the vulnerable population of reproductive age and pregnant women free of charge in the clinic and in homes
Increase the number of field practice sites in the state of Guanajuato
Do you want to join us?
- Passionate about caring for mothers and children
- High school certificate
- Birth certificate
- Unique Population Registry Key (CURP)
- Minimum age of 18 years old
- Available to study full-time
- Have lived in San Miguel for at least three years from the date of admission.
- Sufficient physical and mental health conditions
- Ability to travel for the practice period, clinical rotations and stay in rural community.
- Scholarships available
- Priority is given to family members of traditional midwives from rural communities.
- Infectious Diseases
- Education Techniques
- Public Health
- Family Planning
Midwifery School News
CASA – Our school, the only accredited professional midwifery school celebrated the International Day of the Midwife
CASA’s Professional Midwifery School celebrated this past Saturday, May 5th the International Day of the Midwife in the CASA midwifery school campus. Doctor Juan Luis Mosqueda GÃ³mez, Secretary of Health for the state of Guanajuato and Doctor.